Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Doggy Daycare

In order to board Diesel at the place we wanted to, he had to do an intake interview and do a full day of doggy daycare.  They want to get to know him and how he interacts with people and dogs alike before he spends the night there.  He passed his intake interview with flying colors (they do behavior tests to see how he is around food, treats, toys, hands, getting his tail touched, ears touched, face touched.  He had no issues what so ever with anything)  Next Diesel had a grooming appointment there.  He did really well.  The groomers loved him.  He was only there for the bath though, we picked him up right away afterwards. 

Today Diesel went for his full day of daycare.  Tuesdays are my busy days with my daycare, so I thought it was a good day for him to go.  I don't get to spend much time with him on Tuesdays because I'm so busy with the kids.  John dropped him off this morning and honestly I forgot about him most of the day.  (I was super busy and didn't get much of a chance to sit down myself)  When I went to pick him up, i got a great greeting.  He almost plowed me over he was so happy.  They all said he had a great day and really won over the staff with his winning personality.  Then they handed me a progress report, complete with pictures.  Here is what it said.

AM Playtime: Diesel did wonderful this morning. He showed no signs of kennel stress (something we have been dealing with at home) and rested well when in his kennel.  He is an excellent player, interacts with and reads other dogs well.  He really enjoyed playing with Lucy, a goldendoodle, Tera, a boxer mix, and Duke, a boxer.  We expect him to do well at Just Dogs.  We were also very impressed with how well he obeyed commands. 
Naptime: Diesel had a wonderful nap over the lunch hour.  He settled down in his kennel easily and showed no signs of kennel stress.  He also enjoyed some treats. 
PM Playtime: Diesel continued to have a blast this afternoon.  He really had a great time just running around and playing with his new friends, especially Lucy.  We cant wait to have him here again.  He was a hit with all the staff. 

So now he's all tuckered out and napping.  He is exhausted but I think he really had fun.  I wish I could take him there more, but I will try about once a month.  It helps with his socialization and really wears him out.  Over the spring, summer and fall we will take him to the dog park often (we try for at least once a weekend, but usually it's more like 2-3 times) but over the winter we may not get there as often (unless it's mild like this past winter was) I may save up to send him there a little more often so he doesn't go stir crazy. 

I wish I could scan in the pictures, but the printer doesn't like my netbook and won't accept a scan.  He lookes like he's smiling in all the pictures though.  I have no worries about boarding him there.  They really love dogs and it shows.  I know he will get lots of exercise and socialization while we are on vacation.  He won't be stuck in a cage all day like most boarding places.  I'm really glad we found this place.  (and it's only 5 minutes away) 

No comments:

Post a Comment