Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween everyone.  This year the girls both wanted to be princesses.  We have a lot of princess dresses, so they each chose one.  Skylar chose a pink Sleeping Beauty dress and Larissa chose a blue princess dress.  Skylar also wore a pink Aurora crown and carried a pink wand.  I didn't have a blue crown for Larissa, but I did have a purple Ariel crown that she wore.  She also had a blue wand. 





First we went to our neighbor Monica's house.  She always makes the girls something special.  They got a Halloween cup filled with some candy, bracelets, fake fangs and a bouncy ball.  Monica said she didn't have a chance to carve her pumpkins this year but she had an Elmo decoration that was pretty cool.



Then we were off.  At first they were running from house to house.



After we got around our first block, the girls were getting cold so we stopped back home to put sweatshirts on under the dresses.  We then went down the block and got about 10 houses down, both girls lost their steam.  We turned to head back towards the house and got the wagon.  At first Larissa wanted to just go home, but by the time we got there, she decided she wanted to come back out with us.  We then went a few more blocks and came home.  We were out about an hour and a half, which was enough for all of us.  We live in a very hilly neighborhood and our legs are all tired. 

When we got home we combined all their candy and went through it.  They each got to pick 1 piece to eat right away.  Larissa picked fun dip, Skylar picked hersey bar.  When we were going through the candy, I was surprised to see there was not one piece of gum, and very little hard candy (gob stoppers, jolly ranchers, now and laters)  I just don't feel comfortable giving them hard candy that they can't bite easily, not until they are old enough to sit still long enough to suck on it and not choke on it.  As for the gum, here is the scenario I witnessed tonight.

Skylar: Trick or Treat!!
man: hi there, here is some candy.  Here, let me give you some gum too.
Skylar: no thank you, I'm too little for gum, you can have it back
man: Really? 
Skylar:  yep, my mom says we can't have gum yet, we might get it all over the place.
Larissa: (from the wagon on the sidewalk) yeah, I'm too little too, I just want candy, no gum. 

I'll keep gum away from them as long as I can.  I have let them try it before but they swallow it right away.  Since then I've just been telling them they are too little and they don't care. 

At another house Skylar comes screaming back to me, mom I got cheese crackers, I LOVE cheese crackers!! 

At another house the lady let them choose.  Their choices were a pencil, chapstick, choclate candy or fruit snacks.  Both girls chose fruit snacks.  (I actually thought they'd go for the chapstick, but Skylar just got some for her birthday yesterday so they were happy with having that) 

Towards the end of the night Larissa was really tired and didn't get out of the wagon much.  Skylar would go up and after she got her treat she'd say, my little sister is too tired to come up here, can I take her a candy?  Every once in a while Rissy would chime in, I'm down here!!  Most of the people laughed and gave Skylar something for her.  One lady even came down to us to offer Larissa her choice. 

here is a picture of their catch spread out over the table.


and the girls enjoying their treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment