Monday, January 2, 2012

Skylar ****UPDATED****

Skylar got a tag reader for christmas.  It's a little pen that will help her read.  There are special books that go with it.  When she holds the pen to different parts of the book it does different things.  It will read the entire book to her, she can point to each word and it will tell her the word, or she can slowly drag the pen across a word and it will sound it out.  In the week she's had this pen, she made big strides in her reading.  She's really paying attention to the sounding out of words and she's been able to sound out some longer words lately.  This morning she looked at my shirt and sounded out FOOTBALL.  Just now she sounded out DOODLE.  I think she will be reading easily before she enters kindergarten in the fall.  So proud of her.

*****UPDATE*******
Tonight, Jan 6th, Skylar read me her first book.  my mom had given me some books that are good for kids just starting.  We sat down tonight after she had been reading with her tag reader for a while.  The first book we read was about a rat and a hat.  The first few pages went like this:
A hat
A tan hat
A tan hat on a rat......

it goes on with words that rhyme with hat.  By the end she was reading words like tan, rat, hat, cat without sounding them out. 

Next we read a book about a fox.  She read this book much much faster.  I told her we will read some books every night and she was very excited.  She was so proud of herself for reading these books.  I gave her tons and tons of hugs and told her how proud I was of her.  She then told me, momma I love reading, books are fun. 

My next project is to make flash cards with sight words on them.  She had trouble with words like THE, AND, ON.  I will have to work with her on those words and I think she will be reading in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment